Friends of Hackley Public Library:
The mission of the Friends of Hackley Public Library is to pursue activities that provide support for and benefit the Hackley Public Library. Members will:
- Help develop and promote the Library's services and facilities
- Foster an interest in the Library among community members
- Encourage the use of the Library's resources
- Ait the Library in enhancing the cultural life of the community
- Promote and encourage gifts, endowments, and bequests
- Stimulate interest in bookos and libraries
- Receive and disburse funds according to the Library's purpose.
- Charles H. Hackley Distinguished Lecture in the Humanities. Held in May each year, an individual with some tie to Muskegon who has made a distinguished contribution to some area of the humanities is invited to present a lecture in his/her area of expertise. This year's lecture was on May 13 and the lecturer was Roy S. Roberts.
- 2013 Lecture-by Roy S. Roberts
- 2012 Lecture-How can we lose the war on terror by John Hutson
- 2011 Lecture-Getting Out of the House by David Turner
- 2010 Lecture-Music as an Agent of Change by Scott Speck
- 2009 Lecture-The Russian American Relationship by John Beryle
- Holiday Candlelight Event. A festive gathering is held in the historic reading room. Members of the Friends are mailed invitations in late October. Mark your calendar for Thursday, Dec. 5 2013--the Candlelight Event is held the first Thursday in December.
- Barnes and Noble Book Fair. Do your shopping and support the Friends renovation of the Children's Department. Usually held in early November
- Used Book Sale. Don't miss the annual used book sale held in April. Thousands of books-low prices-treasures for everybody! The 2013 sale was held in April at the Walker Arena Annex.
The current Board members are Jean Anderson, Carol Ann Balcom (Corresponding Secretary), J'Nai Closz, Andrea KahnCarolyn Madden, Susan Mills (Recording secretary), John Mullally, Charlotte Olson, Bill Papo, Mary Jane Silvas, Hayden Smith (President), Kathy Snider (Past President), Judy Tierney.
There are 5 levels of Friends: Basic membership is $25, Torrent Associate is $50, Hackley Associate is $100, Hackley Patron is $200, and Hackley Benefactor is $500. To become a member mail your check, payable to Friends of Hackley Public Library, to The Friends of Hackley Public Library, 316 W Webster Ave, Muskegon MI 49440-1281. Every membership is acknowledged with a receipt and is deductible for tax purposes.