|Internet and Computers:
- CNET Editors' Desktop Buying Guide This step-by-step guide to desktop computers clues you in to what you need to know, from finding the type of PC that fits your lifestyle to catching up on all of the latest trends. Discusses specifications for different users (general purpose user, power user, home theater enthusiast, home office worker), processors and memory, drives, peripherals (such as monitors), and related topics. Includes links to other buying guides. From CNET. (LII)
- Computers Decision Guide Brief step-by-step guide to making decisions about a computer purchase. Topics include whether to upgrade or buy a new computer, deciding between a laptop and desktop computer and between Windows and Macintosh operating systems, types of laptops and desktops, and computer security. Provides links to related consumer reviews and articles, some free and some requiring a paid subscription. From Consumer Reports. (LII)
- ComUSolv.com Products, viruses, tutorials (BWN)
- Fix your own printer FixYourOwnPrinter.com hosts an active forum of users who share their tips on managing printer issues.
- Getting Started With Excel The tutorial is divided into eight sections, which include “Entering and Editing Data”, “Formatting the Worksheet”, and “Creating a Chart”. Each section contains several short paragraphs of text, complemented effectively with a few helpful graphics. The tutorial is rounded out by several problem assignments that will make sure students have mastered some of the basic features of Excel. (SR)
- Free Computer Books many free resources clumped into compact pages (DS)
- Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) The IC3's mission is to serve as a vehicle to receive, develop, and refer criminal complaints regarding the rapidly expanding arena of cyber crime. You can file a complaint using an online form on this site. Also includes a FAQ, a description of Internet crime schemes, and prevention tips in areas such as auction fraud, identity theft, and investment fraud. A partnership of the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the National White Collar Crime Center. (LII)
- In Pictures: Computer Tutorials Based on Pictures Collection of free, easy-to follow illustrated tutorials for software and computer subjects such as Microsoft Office, Dreamweaver, Photoshop Elements, HTML and CSS, My SQL, PHP, and Perl. Originally developed as part of a U.S.. Department of Education study to help people with learning disabilities to learn computer skills. From Visibooks. (LII)
- Linux Free operating system which runs on many platforms.
- Tucows Linux Links to thousands of Linux programs
- Linuxnewbie.org Linux users, both newbies and the more experienced, should find scads of useful information at this site.
- Motherboard Homeworld [.pdf, .zip] one of the most comprehensive online resources for motherboards
- A Programmers Heaven [.zip] Designed and maintained by Bjorn Fogelberg, electronic musician and programmer from Sweden, this impressive and well-organized resource should appeal to any programmer, with over 9500 downloadable files and some 2600 related links.
- Tech Encyclopedia Definitions of Computer Terms and Concepts.
- SETI@Home Be part of the search! While your computer is idle, let it analyze information from the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence Project.
- A.M. Turing Award ACM's most prestigious technical award. (LII)
- Virtual Network Computing This software allows any computer to access another computer across a local area network or the Internet. You can use a Mac on a Windows machine, or a Windows on a Unix machine. It is free to download and runs on almost anything.
- whatis a large online encyclopedia of information technology
- WheatWorks Free Financial Calculators
- AnyBrowser.com allows users to test their sites using several free tools
- Acoo Browser Compatible with all computers running Windows 98 and newer and Internet Explorer 5.0 and newer. (SR)
- Avant Browser Compatible with Windows 98. (SR)
- Camino 1.0 Camino is a new browser for Macs. (SR)
- Firefox Alternative browser.
- iCab 1.8 Preview this is a Mac only web browser.
- 1st Choice Browse2000 This browser lets you have two open windows side by side.
- Mozilla variety of products for surfing the web
- Opera 5.1 for Windows Opera, a small and speedy browser that almost fits on a single floppy, is one of the few real alternatives to the two major browsers. (SR)
- Slim Browser one of the better ones out there. (SR)
- WebWhacker A trial version of an off-line web browser from Blue Squirrel
- Active Web Reader v2.42 ...keep track of new RSS feeds as they are made available (SR)
- Blog Navigator 1.2 The program uses RSS feeds, supports many types of sites, and also includes features for reading blogs offline. (SR)
- Bloglines Bloglines is a FREE online service for searching, subscribing, creating and sharing news feeds, blogs and rich web content.
- Sharpreader RSS aggregator for Windows
- Net News Wire RSS aggregator for Macs
- Straw RSS aggregator for Linnux
- List of Other Aggregators
- Handbook for Bloggers and Cyberdissidents 'This handbook provides practical advice for bloggers worldwide. Topics include how to set up a blog, marketing a blog, maintaining credibility, and how to blog in countries with limited free speech without getting in trouble with the authorities. From Reporters Without Borders, an organization that defends journalists and other media contributors and professionals who have been imprisoned or persecuted for doing their work. ' (LII)
- Advanced CSS Layouts: Step by Step a step-by-step CSS layout tutorial on how to create WebReference table-like layouts (SR)
- 1st Page 2000 v2.0 [5.2M] W9x/NT FREE Freeware HTML editor. (ed. note: This is what I use)
- AceExpert3 AceExpert3 includes a very nice, easy-to-use HTML editor and various Web development tools.
- Au2HTML [Windows 95/98/NT] Au2HTML is a tool aimed at Webmasters and others who are interested in developing Webpage galleries.
- IMS Meta-data Specification - Version 1 [.pdf] Everything you wanted to know about Meta-data.
- Movable Type 3.1 allows users to create weblogs rather simply through the use of their templates and also allows for the creation of either static page generation or dynamic pages. Additional new features in this edition of Movable Type include the ability to schedule posts to appear at any given time, which may be helpful for those who find themselves away from their home computer.
- MT Plugin Directory Moveable Type plug ins.
- Ten Good Deeds in Web Design Anyone maintaining or contemplating the design of a Website should read these short lists.
- Resource Description Framework (RDF) Model and Syntax Specification
W3C RDF homepage: The Resource Description Framework is a way to put data about documents into the documents which should help retrieve them in a search
- Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 [.pdf, .zip. .ps, .gzip tar] Guidelines for making Web pages accessible to the widest audience possible, including those with disabilities.
- WebDesignHelper a free resource that features numerous templates, Web graphics, fonts, and a number of other useful items that can be used to create a complete Web site. (SR)
- Web Design References: Tools Annotated collection of links to Web design tools, including HTML validators, link checkers, and tools for accessibility, color, CSS (cascading style sheets), information architecture, usability, and XML (extensible markup language). From Information Technology Systems and Services, University of Minnesota, Duluth. (LII)
- Techniques for Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 Techniques for using the accessibility guidelines.
- HTML with Style Tutorials to help beginning and experienced web designers hone their craft
- HTML Tidy a utility to help clean up your html act.
- XHTML 1.0 -- W3C [.ps, .pdf, .zip. .tar] According to W3C, XHTML 1.0 is the first step toward a modular and extensible Web based on XML, as it works in both current HTML browsers and XML-enabled tools.
- W3C: Associating Style Sheets with XML documents Version 1.0
- Web Places A good site for finding graphics for web pages.
- Webmaster Resources The man behind the BoogieJack website is Dennis Gaskill, and he's been serving up compelling pieces of web design wisdom on this site since 1997. On the homepage, he invites the curious visitor to Look around, make yourself at home. It's a fine idea, especially considering that the site contains a number of helpful HTML tutorials, cascading style sheets (CSS) tutorials, and a selection of free web graphics. While the site doesn't have an embedded search engine, visitors can scroll up and down through the homepage to locate the instructional materials they desire. In the HTML Tutorials area, visitors will find several dozen short overviews that cover topics like tag attributes, line breaks, headings, and of course, CSS. Additionally, visitors can sign up to receive his ezine Almost a Newsletter, which comes out several times a month. (SR)
- Matt's Script Guide a veritable cornucopia of website addons to help you enable search, chat, guest books, forms, counters and more.
- The CGI Resource Index 2,187 links to CGI resources, some free.
- ActivePerl - Perl for Microsoft Windows
- REBOL the Relative Expression-Based Object Language, is a fascinating new scripting language developed at REBOL Technologies by Carl Sassenrath, the architect of the Amiga operating system
- CPAN: Comprehensive Perl Archive Network everything you always wanted to know about PERL
- Free Perl Programming Resources Categories here include Free CGI Resources, Free Perl Tutorials, and Free Perl Forums. (RB)
- Quicktime 4 Beta Release For Mac or Windows, this beta release is free to download from Apple.
- Pixer.us Need a quick fix for that photo? With pixer.us you can edit your photos online using only your browser. Upload your photo using the load image form. In a few seconds, the image will be displayed on screen and you can start to play with it. After you're done fixing your photo click on the Save button to download it using your preferred file format. All modifications are done in a non-destructive way. Your image will always keep it's original quality! (LIB)
- Agentland.com This site is a handy portal to intelligent agents, software tools that automatically perform a variety of tasks on the Internet. (SR)
- Bandwidth Meter Check your internet connection speed. (LII)
- CCleaner 2.02.527 The road to a smoothly running computer can be paved with unused files and all types of extraneous items. This version of CCleaner can help users with such matters, as it cleans up temporary files, recycled items, log files, and other such pesky items. This version is compatible with computers running Windows 95 and newer. (SR)
- Cometdocs free, online document management system. Store, convert files, share, and email files.
- Doodle Doodle helps scheduling meetings – it's simple, quick, and free. (DS)
- Down for Everyone? This site lets you check a website to see if it is down in general or if it is a problem only for you.
- I Want To... This is a small collection of resources that will help to answer those questions. It is not complete, nor will it ever be. I will be adding to this on a regular basis, so feel free to bookmark it and come back and visit. (TTW)
- ISP Compared ISPcompared.com provides visitors a way to quickly and meticulously compare the rates, features, and promotions of standard dial-up, high speed dial-up, and broadband Internet service. In addition, users have access to FAQ’s, reviews, ratings, and free Internet speed testing. In the very near future we will be adding wireless Internet comparison and more broadband provider options.
- LibraryThing created by Tim Spalding, those who are so inclined can share information about their own personal libraries across great distances. Currently users can catalog up to 200 books at no charge and also create tags for each record as they do so. (SR)
- Bookmark Converter (allows users to convert between Netscape and Explorer bookmarks. Online bookmark managers
- Educational Software Directory Listings of educational software (RB)
- Free Email Providers Guide (FEPG.net) This site has information on over 1300 free email providers. Before you decide on one, check it out here.
- Book of Zines Your how-to source for creating your own e-zine.
- Cookie Pal Cookie Pal is a Windows based utility that makes managing your cookies a snap.
- Zamzar free file conversion. It can convert between five image formats, 14 document formats, 11 audio formats, and nine video formats, and unlike Media-Convert you can convert many files at once, up to 100MB. (DS)
- IDcide Privacy Companion [Windows 95/98/NT] This downloadable software lets you see which sites are trying to post cookies and decide whether or not to allow them. It comes highly recommended by _The Scout Report_
- GifWorks GIFWorks is a free service to help you build your graphics online.
- HushMail Free email client with 1,024 bit encryption.
- Microsoft Word Training Modules ...these modules address such topics as inserting images in MS Word, creating signs with MS Word, and keyboard shortcuts. Each of the modules is written with introductory users in mind, and they include helpful graphics that illustrate different actions and tools. Additionally, the site also includes a series of “Beyond the Basics” learning modules that provide guidance on how to use the mail merge function and how to create hyperlinks within MS Word. (SR)
- Instant Messaging
- Adium X 0.82 a multiple protocol instant-messaging client, it includes support for AIM, Yahoo, MSN, Trepia, and Napster. With the program, users can manage multiple conversations and also maintain a presence on multiple services simultaneously. This version of Adium is compatible with Mac OS X 10.2.7 or later. (SR)
- AOL Instant Messenger(AIM) The newest version of the extremely popular America Online (AOL) Instant Messenger (free to all users, not just AOL members)
- ICQ ICQ homepage
- Trillium an instant messaging client that allows users to log into AIM, Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, and IRC at the same time.
- iTunes 5.0 This version of iTunes is compatible with all operating systems running Windows 2000 or XP or Max OS X 10.2.8 or newer. (SR)
- Internet Fraud Complaint Center The Internet Fraud Complaint Center was created by Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C)m to combat the growing problem of fraud occurring over the Internet by providing a vehicle for victims around the country to report incidents of fraud online. (IFCC)
- Adobe Acrobat ReaderNew features: better integration with Web browsers, and better support for longer documents.
Created by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the OnGuard website provides practical tips from the federal government and the technology industry to help you be on guard against Internet fraud, secure your computer, and protect your personal information.
- OpenOffice.org The Open Source Office Suite (LII)
- gPodder 0.4 This application allows users to manager ... podcast feeds ... and...automatically downloads podcasts from any given site. This application is compatible with all operating systems running Windows 98 or newer. (SR)
- Live 365 find podcasts. (ShL)
- iTunes Find podcasts (ShL)
- Skype 188.8.131.52 uses peer-to-peer technology via the Internet so that users can make long-distance calls. The program includes a sophisticated encryption and a surprisingly excellent level of audio fidelity. The program is compatible with computers which run Windows XP or 2000. (SR)
- Smart Popup Blocker 1.20 effectively blocks most pop-up ads and messenger pop-up spam, and also cleans cookies and guards the default Internet Explorer home page.
- Spoken Text Free online text to speech converter. (DS)
- W3Schools This e-learning portal offers more than a dozen tutorials relating to Internet development.
- WebZip WebZip is a tool that lets users download partial or entire Websites to their hard drives.
- Yahoo Messenger - Macintosh (Beta) [PowerPC, Mac OS 8.5 Stuffit Expander 5.1] Yahoo has released a Mac Beta version of its popular chat client. While short on pizazz, the Messenger still has all the basic features: a friends list, invisible mode, and an ignore list. It also offers quick and simple access to the Yahoo member directory.